Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What I Learned This Week

I have learned a few things. Not thinking, I took my 4 year old to the store with me Easter Bunny shopping. My husband wasn't home and it was the only time I could go. I bought all of the stuff for the easter baskets and didn't think anything of it.
We walked in the door and she told my boys, who are older. Mom is the Easter Bunny. I ruined the Easter Bunny for all 3 of my kids this week. Although my 9 year old was already past that point.

I also found out some people aren't who we thought they were. My husband's dad got remarried about 2 years ago. We thought we got along with the new wife just great but have discovered that she spent two days 3 blocks away from our house at her "real" grandkids house and never once called or even acknowledged my children. If only she realized how bad that made my children feel. Our grandpa was hunting with my husband and she wouldn't even stay at our house or come over. Anyone else ever had this happen?

This week is spring break for our kids. We are going to my mom's house. We get to go to goblin valley in south eastern Utah. We are also taking them to some sand dunes by their house. They are very excited. I think it will be fun. Pictures to come at the end of the week when we return.

You can join the carnival at Musings of a Housewife.

12 comments:

Vanessa said...

HOLY CRAP MELISSA!!! I am so sorry about that. I'm sure your kids were pretty upset. I know I would be. How did you find out she was here? My parents went to their cabin last weekend and invited my brother and not us. How rude is that?

And the Easter Bunny...Aubrey says she still believes, but I think she knows the real truth.

Amy Platon said...

Oh, sistah, let yourself off the hook. My 4 yr old told me that the easter bunny is just a man in an easter costume....they know.

And as for grandma, she messed up, and she knows it. I'm sure she won't let it happen again. If you hold it over her then you'll be reliving it over and over again. You don't need all that. Just let her show you who she really is, and let it be. It's not your job to make her like you, so don't feel like you've failed with her. She just made a choice but you have your family for support. Good luck! Hugs.

Devri said...

Yay for spring break!!

Sorry about the mishap with the granparents. ouch!

They don't know what they are missing!

My oldest 2 know, but everyone else are true believers still.

Melinders said...

That's funny about the Easter Bunny. I decided I wasn't going to do the bunny thing, so I just put Easter baskets out and Ryker came in my room and said "mom, I think this came from the Easter bunny, do you?" So, I just let him think that. I wish we could go to goblin valley too. That sounds fun.

The Fritz Facts said...

I have dealt with that before, on sort of the same level. My dad's wife will only come over when Hunter is at his mom's. She doesn't have the same relationship with him that she has with Boo. She also never will since Hunter sees this and knows.

Have a great trip~

Anonymous said...

So 4 must be the magic age. I took my 3yo Easter basket shopping, and she didn't spill the beans or even seem to make the connection. My 8yo actually left salad for the bunny to snack on and a note. I think there was a bit of a connection to Santa there!

My advice on the grandmother thing. Set the bar lower for what you expect out of her. I had to do that many years ago with my husbands dad and step-mom. I am much less disappointed when things don't work out exactly as I thought they were planned. And I don't tell the kids about any visits unless I KNOW they are on their way. It hurts too much otherwise! Take care. (My verification word is "crudisms". What a perfect fit to the situation!)

shellyray said...

That's funny about the Easter bunny but I bet your boys already knew.

Musings of a Housewife said...

That's hilarious about your 4-y/o ruining the Easter Bunny. My kids don't really believe, although the 3-y/o was buying into it. It was cute watching my 9-y/o trying to keep her believing.

Can't wait to see your pictures! It sounds beautiful.

Anonymous said...

:( I totally can relate to the grandparent issue.

Love your blog. Adding you to my blog roll! :)

~Jaime
www.ChaseNKids.com

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

It sounds like you learned some hard lessons. I hope the trip to your Mom's will make it all better!

Unknown said...

It is always disheartening to find out things aren't as you thought.
Whether it is friends or family, it is not easy to deal with. Especially family...your expectations are higher I think.
Family dynamics are hard at times. Don't let it eat at you. It's not worth it. Easier said than done right? Hang in there.

Shane found out at a young age that there was no Easter bunny. He turned out ok :)

Paula said...

Melissa,
I am sorry to hear about the "grandma" issue. I will leave it at that b/c I am trying to be nice lately. When that wears off maybe I will tell you how I really feel about her behavior. On the bunny thing....yeah my sil we found out this weekend makes a trail to the baskets with jellybeans and the small robin eggs. Which looks like fun....so now my kids want to know why the easter bunny doesn't do that for them? Have fun this week on your trip!