Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My first bike ride and CRASH!

I got my new bike yesterday via UPS. I hadn't tried it out yet. We had to get the wheels pumped up and the shoes. It has the clip shoes.

Tonight my hubby took me to the bike shop and bought me some shoes and a helmet. Thank goodness for the helmet! I went around the block for the first time after I got my clipped shoes. When I got home I was trying to stop and get my shoes out. I couldn't get my left foot out and CRASHED in the middle of the driveway. Just like when you were 5 and learning how to ride your bike.

The best part was only my 4 year old neighbor boy was outside besides us. He can ride a two wheeler. So he decided to hop on his and show me how it was done. He rode over and rode around so I could see with a big grin on his face. Kind of like I needed to know it wasn't so hard.

My hubby made me get back on and try again. Luckily, the 2nd time was a charm after 10 minutes of trying to get my balance and the neighbors driving by in their truck laughing, trying to figure out why I was holding on to my husband and wouldn't leave my driveway.

I was seriously seeing my life flashing before my eyes. It is a scary thing being strapped to your bike and not knowing if you are going to be able to get loose. I am a chicken. I have a sore hip and wrist tonight. I am not as young as I used to be.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my! That is scary! Good thing you were not somewhere else. It stinks getting older! I get hurt a lot more!

tiburon said...

Can I make a suggestion? Bring your bike into the house. Into the hallway. Then you can sit on your bike and use the walls to steady yourself and practice getting in and out of the clips :)

Oh and thanks for putting my button up. You are awesome!!

Marcy said...

I usually put my right foot in first and then once I am going I put my left foot in. It does take practice and I still have trouble with my left foot and I have had my shoes for almost six years. Keep up the good work! I need to start getting out on my bike. I think we are going to go and look at bike trailers for Megs this weekend.

Vanessa said...

I would have just given up. Way to get back on there!

Melinders said...

I hope you are feeling ok. I can just see myself doing the same exact thing and feeling the panic of not being able to get my feet out of the clips. I'm glad you didn't get hurt too bad. Please don't think I'm rude, but I can't stop laughing. I have this weird thing about me that I think it is so funny when people get hurt. One time a tv fell on mom's head and I laughed so hard, but at the same time I felt bad for her.

Melissa P said...

Melinda,
I don't think you are rude. Today I think it is funny too. I am surprised Cory didn't laugh. I can imagine how stupid I looked. There was absolutely no grace in it.