School teachers and I would put substitutes in a category that should be in a position to watch what they say around our impressionable children. Yesterday my 3rd grader came home and told me that "Let's blow this joint" means that it is smoking a joint of marijuana. In my state of shock, he goes on to tell me his teacher told him.
Not his regular teacher, his substitute teacher. They are learning idioms at school, and one that said that was on the wall. Apparently, the teacher felt it was her obligation to teach the kids it doesn't mean to leave somewhere.
I went and had a chat with my son's regular teacher today. She was pretty floored herself. She said she will talk to the principal and the substitute about what happened so at least something will be done.
I am glad I brought it to her attention, but I am furious that someone that is impressionable to children is saying these kinds of things around kids. I am trying to teach my kids drugs are bad and she makes it sound like it is okay.
I may be over reacting but I am annoyed. She subs at the school all of the time and is one of the very active PTA members. This is not someone I want around my children influencing them.
3 comments:
Good. I'm glad you said something. How inappropriate. And I totally know who you are talking about...believe me. I have had many a run in. I just hope she isn't subbing in Aubrey's class any time soon.
Yikes! just another thing that I have to NOT look forward too as my children get older. Why am I so anxious to have them get to another challenging stage? I always think that as they age, things will be easier......WRONG!
So sorry....I am proud of you for doing something about it....I truly admire intiative!
Hey....tell Curtis and Rhondalyn "hi" from the Cowleys....we sure miss them.
Good for you! My husband WENT OFF on Avery's teacher because she was telling them who to "vote" for when they had a mock election. She was CLEARLY biased towards one party and actually told Avery that the stuff that we told her about our candidate was a lie.
Hows about we just teach the FACTS. Not opinion.
Post a Comment